Technology and Beyond (TaB)

Full Version: Ristenpart...Hey, you, get off my cloud! Exploring Information Leakage.CCS09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

lingu

T. Ristenpart, E. Tromer, H. Shacham, and S. Savage. “Hey, You, Get Off of My Cloud! Exploring Information Leakage in Third-Party Compute Clouds.” In S. Jha and Angelos Keromytis, eds., Proceedings of CCS 2009, pages 199–212.

The paper shows that it is possible to detect the mapping of VMs to physical machines in a cloud infrastructure (e.g., EC2) and probabilistically control the residence of a VM an adversary launches. By collocating an adversary VM with a target VM on the same physical machine, the adversary may launch side channel attacks to obtain information about the target machine and potentially even some private data. The authors comment that key (secret) extraction using such side channel attacks is somewhat difficult because of the complexity of virtualized execution.

lingu

PDF from an author's site: http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~hovav/dist/cloudsec.pdf

@inproceedings{ristenpart09hey,
author = "Thomas Ristenpart and Eran Tromer and Hovav Shacham and Stefan Savage",
title = "Hey, You, Get Off of My Cloud! {Exploring} Information Leakage in Third-Party Compute Clouds",
booktitle = "In Proc. of the $16^{th}$ ACM Conf. on Computer and Communication Security (CCS'09)",
year = 2009,
month = "Nov.",
location = "Chicago, IL",
page = "199--212",
}
Reference URL's